You know I’m a DIY kind of gal, right?! This year I really tried to create a fun birthday party for my kids. For each one, I really went all out decorating and making it unique. I usually make their cakes too. One, its less expensive (sometimes) and two, I feel like that is something special they will remember. Now, I’m no cake decorating expert, mind you, but I do my best. This time…I decided to go very simple. Abby had a pool party with a few friends from her class and rather than cake getting smeared all over the place, I thought cookie cake and cake pops might be a better idea?
So here’s what I did! I made cake balls or cake pops…easy peasy.
- Bake a boxed cake mix (I doubled the recipe) and crumble the cake in a bowl.
- Mix in a tub of frosting. Mix up your favorite flavors…I did strawberry for pink cake filling.
- Shape the mixture into balls (use a cookie scoop!!!) and FREEZE!
- Dip into almond bark or candy coating…use sticks if you like.
- Drizzle icing or dip in sprinkles before completely dry.
Tape the cake boxes together to secure. And choose a fun scrapbooking paper to wrap the boxes in. I used this cute paper by Bella Blvd. The paper probably won’t cover all the way to the bottom, but I just added a pretty ribbon to cover that.
Punch holes for the cake pop sticks…use something sharp because you have to go through the second cake mix box. Add the ribbon and a cute sign. I designed a complete birthday kit that I will share soon. Don’t miss this freebie!
Can you can see below how I used the frosting can? I’ll share more later!
Wanna put together a party like we did…check out my Happy Girl printables!!!