Okay, this isn’t a resolution, but something I’m going to try to do in 2016 is snail mail something each week this year. #postandpresent To help organize this challenge and the growing list of birthdays, occasions and events I have to remember, I decided to re-create a DIY date book workshop project I did a few years ago – to keep all of those significant dates close at hand. And, the cool thing about this book is that each page is a pocket to keep greetings, notecards and even gift cards stowed until it’s time to drop them in the mail or hand them off. It’s fun adding a little flair to customize this book of celebrations and milestones. I added a lot of color with some of my fun me and my Big ideas® stickers, washi and patterned papers. This easy bookbinding style and numbered-list-style pages can be used for numerous projects, including a daily gratitude journal or even an expense tracker. Just use the list to jot down expenses and stow the receipts in the pockets. The printable files make it a snap to put together. You could whip this project out in one crafty afternoon. Just download the pdf files and spend an hour or two crafting something pretty in the name of organization this new year!
- Chipboard or book board (2 pieces: 7” x 11”)
- Patterned papers (2 for the covers and 1 for the inside cover)
I used these from mambi – Big City Brights – Frame and Craft Elements (gorgeous thick pink/foil dots for covers and black and white stripes for inside covers), mambi Sheets™ – Paint Palette paper (words) for covering back of year at a glance calendar, mambi Sheets™ – Color Pop paper (herringbone) for adding a strip to each monthly page.
- (3) loose leaf rings (1-2” diameter)
- (13) sheets white cardstock (8 .” x 11”)
- (12) sheets black (or coordinating color) cardstock (8 .” x 11”)
- 2” circle or oval punch
- Hole punch (1/4”)
- Corner punch
- Adhesives (glue sticks and/or tape runner)
- Embellishments (stickers, washi, ribbon, etc.)
I used these stickers from mambi – Washi Tape – Peony, Pocket Pages™ Foil Stickers – Big City Brights (oh how I love these!!!), The Happy Planner™ Stickers – Life Quotes
- (6) large eyelets (optional)
- Sewing machine and thread (optional)
- Download 2016 months to print.
Print & Prep the Pages:
- Print 12 of the numbered lists onto white cardstock. Trim along grey cutting lines. The finished size should be 5 ½ ” x 10 ¾” (trim just inside the lines).
NOTE: If you want to create your own design just create a numbered list according to how many days are each month and draw a line to the right of that. A hand-drawn list or labels will work just fine for this project.
- Print one of the 2016 At a Glance calendar pages on white cardstock. The finished size should be 5 ½” x 10 ¾” (trim just inside the lines).
- Cut 12 sheets of black cardstock to 6 ½“ x 10 ¾”.
- Create a half-circle or oval notch in the vertical center of the right edge of each list/monthly page by punching with a circle or oval punch.
- Run a fine line of glue around the top, left and bottom edges (NOT the notched edge side) on the back of the list pages and adhere each to one of the 12 pieces of cardstock cut in step 4 above.
- TIP: You can reinforce these pockets by machine stitching around the three sides of the page if desired.
- Assemble all twelve pages and set aside.
- Trim two pieces of patterned paper to 10” x 12” and glue the chipboard piece centered on the BACK side of the paper.
- Create great looking finished corners by following the illustrations in photos at right. Clip the paper at an angle just to the corners of the chipboard. Repeat these steps for all the corners.
- Apply glue to the flaps created by cutting the corner notches. Fold flaps to backside of covers.
- Choose papers to add to the inside of the covers. Trim these to 6” x 10 .” and glue to the inside of each cover.
TIP: If you are using book board or thick chipboard, I recommend the Crop-a-Dile (tool seen above) for punching through the thickness of the chipboard with ease.
Bind the Book:
- Mark for holes as follows: (for center hole) measure to the vertical center point (5.5” from top/bottom) on the LEFT edge of the cover; mark center hole .25” from the edge.
- Top and bottom holes are 1.5 ” from top and bottom edges and .25” from LEFT edge of cover.
- Next, mark the holes on each page that will go in the book. Punch the holes with a .25” hole punch and assemble the pages together with the covers and rings.
- Be sure and get creative with patterned paper, stickers and embellishments to add some fun and flair to this project. I’ve lined paper strips to the inside edge of my list pages and added patterns and quotes to the back sides as well.