Spice up the holidays with this easy DIY gift idea. Pair these festive mulling spice ornaments with your favorite fruity red wine or a delicious half gallon of fresh apple cider. Perfect as a hostess gift or for your neighbors or co-workers. Be sure to make extra to keep on hand for those chilly evenings. As a bonus, this DIY will have your home smelling heavenly for Christmas.
What You’ll Need
- Glass craft ornaments
- Mulling spices (homemade or purchased)
- Spice bags (ordered from Amazon)
- Red wine (750 ml bottle) or apple cider (1/2 gallon)
(we love local wine like Wiederkehr’s Beau Noir)
- Packaging materials (gift wrap, ribbon, trims, twine)
- Basic craft tools (scissors, tape, pens, etc.)
- Oil based paint pen (we used gold)
- Paper funnel (8 x 8 square paper)
- 10 cinnamon sticks
- 2 tsp. whole cloves
- 2 tsp. whole allspice berries
- Orange peel cut into pieces (the peel of one orange, dried overnight for best results)
Break cinnamon sticks into small pieces with mallet. Mix all ingredients into a small mixing bowl and combine thoroughly.
Tip: If you’d rather purchase ready to use mulling spices- check out Davidson’s Organics on Amazon.com. Their ready-made Herbal Mulling Spice Mix in a 1lb package is around $13.
- Remove metal tops, wash and dry ornaments.
- Create paper funnel to match the opening in craft ornaments from a piece of 8 x 8 paper.
- Funnel mulling spices into ornaments — about 3 Tablespoons filled ours.
- Replace top and tie pretty bow to top of ornament. You could also use a paint pen to add polka dots to decorate the ornament.
- Wrap wine bottle/cider jug with gift wrap or fabric (we wrapped our cider jug in burlap secured with a safety pin in back).
- Attach ornament with spice bag to bottle/jug.
- Pen a holiday sentiment on kraft paper or download our festive gift tags and recipes here: HolidaySpice-Printable
mulled apple cider Transfer mulling spices to spice bag and tie closed. Combine 1/2 gallon (2 qt.) apple cider and spice bag in a large pot on the stovetop. Simmer just below boiling point for 30-40 minutes or until hot. Remove spice bag and discard. Serve hot. Garnish with orange slices or cinnamon sticks.
mulled wine Transfer mulling spices to spice bag and tie closed. Heat 1/2 cup water or apple cider and 1/3 cup sugar over stovetop. When sugar is dissolved add 1 bottle (750 ml) red wine and spice bag to liquid. Reduce heat to low and simmer (don’t boil) until wine is hot. Discard spice bag and serve hot. Garnish with orange slices or cinnamon sticks.